China announced a 34% tariff on American imports, mirroring US President Donald Trump’s latest duties on Chinese goods announced earlier this week.
The tariffs are scheduled to take effect on April 10.
The Ministry of Commerce issued a statement Thursday morning condemning Washington’s decision and framing the move as a threat to the stability of the global trade system.
“This is a typical act of unilateral bullying,” the ministry said, calling on the US to “immediately” remove the tariffs and instead resolve disputes through “fair and equal dialogue.”
Alongside the tariff announcement, the ministry added 11 US companies to its “unreliable entities” list, a designation that effectively bans them from conducting business in China or partnering with Chinese firms.
In addition, Beijing announced restrictions on the export of select rare earth elements critical to the manufacture of electric vehicles, semiconductors, and military equipment.
China’s customs agency separately said it would suspend chicken imports from certain US agricultural exporters, though it did not specify which companies or facilities would be affected.
The reciprocal 34% tariff move marks a sharp deterioration in trade relations and revives fears of another prolonged tit-for-tat standoff.
This is a developing story.
The post China retaliates with 34% tariff on US goods, targets American firms and rare earth exports appeared first on Invezz